Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Google of the day: Portmanteau

While catching up on one of my favorite soap operas, As the World Turns, I noticed that my favorite character/actress on the show, Lily Walsh Snyder, was being played by a different actress. I have been watching her on the show since 1985, so it was very shocking to see her being played by someone else. The show wouldn't be the same without her. Like another fan said, it's like Holden is cheating on Lily, with Lily!

This started my quest of searching what happened and why she was replaced. This led me to search for Lily and Holden. In the article it said that "the couple is often referred by the portmanteau "Lilden" (for Lily and Holden)." Kinda like Bennifer, Brangelina and TomKat.

I never knew there was a term for a combination name. I always referred to it as a "combo name". "Portmanteau" sounds so much more sophisticated... and a bit snobbish.

No comments: